Ashley Furniture: Living Room Layout Trends For Success
What’s the one room we spend the most time in together with our families? Yes, you’ve guessed it. The living room is possibly the most utilized space in our homes. Here we take a look at some of the best living room layout trends for a great room.
Step 1: How will you use your living room?
Is your living room also a lounge or TV room, or a chill-out place for the family to relax together? Whatever the purpose, be sure to choose a layout to best suit your needs. According to the experts from Ashley Furniture, functionality should relate to your life style. It’s therefore important to brainstorm what the room’s main function will be and the type of atmosphere you want to create. Will it be casual, formal, traditional, modern or eclectic? Use this as a starting point for the perfect living room layout.
A Space for Family
An active family life calls for a more relaxed, traditional atmosphere―a room where everyone can comfortably enjoy daily activities. If the kids need a space to play and you have a large enough room, add in a play area. If the entire family often gathers to watch Netflix or your favourite series, then invest in good quality seating to make the space for comfy – for everyone.
Top tip: Creating a family living room may need input from all the members of the household. Dad may want his favourite recliner included, or the kids may need a durable sofa that won’t easily stain. Think about everyone’s needs before buying the right pieces of furniture.
Be a Great Host
We may all be stuck at home, but there is no harm in planning a great entertainment space when the time comes to invite guests over to your home. A large living space is a great area for entertaining friends and loved ones.
If you host meetings and often entertain, you’ll need a more formal setting that will comfortably accommodate numerous guests. If you throw lots of parties, you’ll need ample seating and lots of flat surfaces for plates and drinks.
Top tip: Besides a much-needed coffee table, invest in a range of side tables in different sizes to accommodate your guests. A mix of tables will offer functional appeal to suit everyone.
What furniture should you include in your living room?
Here are some of our favourite must-have options to include in a trendy living space:
- An ottoman – a very versatile furniture choice, the humble ottoman can double as surface space or seating as the need arises.
- Occasional chairs – great to fill those empty spots in the living room and bring comfort and functionality to a large room.
- Benches and kists – this can also serve as a coffee table or added storage in a living room.
- TV console – a place to safely house your television and keep things looking neat and trendy. A console or TV unit is often a staple in the living room.
When planning your layout there are also a number of factors to consider. These include:
- Doorways. If there’s a doorway along a wall, group furniture opposite of that wall. If faced with two doors across from each other, the room can be divided into two separate areas. If there are several doorways, the room can be broken up into separate areas, each with its own function.
- Natural Light. Note where the sun shines in the room and keep wood furnishings, artwork and upholstered furniture out of direct sunlight.
- Electrical Outlets. Note where all of the room’s electrical outlets are located. For more flexibility, consider installing in-floor electric outlets for furniture arrangements that will be centered in the room away from the walls.
Shop the perfect living room furniture to create a space your family will love at Ashley Furniture.