Tom Dixon’s Hologram Goes to Milan
Since the first Salone del Mobile in 1961, Milan has become the design capital of the world. To honour 60 years since its inception, Tom Dixon Studio will host ‘24 Hours in Milan’ on 13th April on what would have been this year’s first day of Salone (before it was moved to September ‘21).
‘24 Hours in Milan’
’24 Hours in Milan’ will include a series of digital events, high profile talks, retrospectives and activities celebrating Milan and Salone del Mobile’s long-standing contribution to the design world.
Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions and Italy being in lockdown, ‘24 Hours in Milan’ will be held digitally with Tom’s hologram making appearances for live events alongside key figures from the design, fashion, music, media and art worlds. The brand will also reflect on key Milan highlights from their exhibitions over the last 17 years.
As part of the ‘24 Hours in Milan’ campaign, Tom Dixon will launch two new products:
An extraordinary chandelier. Large in scale and highly reflective, BURST is made up of 12 spherical orbs which explode from a single point construction to create a spectacular chandelier. Highly mirrored and perfectly reflective during the day and when switched on reveals a multiplicity of internal reflections from the integral LED. It is intended for filling larger spaces and ceiling voids and it was inspired by an interest in molecular structures and the forward-thinking space age. This enormous lighting fixture is epically proportioned and impossible to ignore.
A limited-edition chair created in collaboration with HYDRO, the biggest aluminium producer in the world. The HYDRO chair is an innovation in aluminium technology. It has been blow-formed through a process called Superplastic Forming at high temperatures and then laser cut by robots. The ballooned pattern gives strength and rigidity and lends a soft and humorous pop sensibility to the lightweight and shiny metal sheet.
Useable indoors and out, its extreme lightness and stackability make it not just a desirable sculpture but also a highly practical chair. Manufactured in Canada by sub-suppliers to Tesla, the HYDRO chair is one hundred per cent recyclable. The 60 limited-edition chairs have all been signed and numbered.
The HYDRO chair will be sold exclusively on Tomdixon.net, from Tom Dixon hubs around the world and selected international partners from 13th April 2021 at midnight. Price: £2021 each.
Using CGI, BURST and HYDRO will be captured in iconic landmarks across the city including the brutalist Church San Nicolao della Flue, Palazzo Mondadori and Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci where Tom Dixon exhibited in 2013.
‘24 Hours in Milan’ will follow the same format as Paris, Copenhagen and Stockholm: 1 city and a 24-hour packed event schedule, which will include:
- A Tom Dixon homage to the last 60 years of Salone.
- A retrospective of 17 Years of Tom Dixon exhibitions in Milan.
- A Live Conversation on Milan as a cultural, fashion, design and architecture hotspot with Vogue Italia and Architectural Digest Italia Editor Emanuele Farneti.
- A Live conversation with Angela Missoni, Creative Director and President of Missoni.
- A talk with a leading Milanese architect, followed by a product presentation by Tom (by invitation only).
- A panel discussion on the home luxury market with luxury analyst and Business of Fashion contributor Luca Solca, Tom Dixon and Tom Dixon’s CEO Hans Hoegstedt (by invitation only).
- A conversation on food and design with Francesca Sarti, founder of the renowned food design studio Arabeschi di Latte who Tom Dixon has collaborated with over many years in Milan.
- A live event with iconic Milanese lighting and furniture showroom MOHD (where the new BURST chandelier will be on display)
- A Cooking Masterclass with Italian Chef Marta Pulini.
- A Cocktail Masterclass at The Manzoni, Tom Dixon’s restaurant and hub in Milan.
- A Live DJ Set
24 Hours in Milan will be broadcasted across Tom Dixon’s channels, tomdixon.net, @tomdixonstudio on the 13th April.