Recipe: Grilled Cheese with Kale Pesto and Cheese
Healthy, packed with nutrients and fresh colours, Kale is a go-to green for high levels of antioxidants, calcium and vitamins A, C and K. In this recipe, the humble kale is used as a pesto to add flavour, nutrients and colour to a traditional grilled cheese sandwich. Perfect for a healthy lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or store-bought
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic to the pan, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in kale until bright green and wilted, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high heat. Lightly oil the top and bottom of the waffle iron or coat with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches, place bread slices into the waffle iron. Top with kale, avocado, mozzarella, pesto and remaining bread slices.
- Close gently and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.