Tom Dixon: A Hologram Launches New CLOUD Collection
To celebrate the launch of the new CLOUD collection, Tom Dixon Studio has embarked on another ambitious journey as part of their 24-Hours concept. Stockholm is the third destination in the brand’s 24-Hour series, which follows successful campaigns in Paris and Copenhagen in 2020.
On 11th February, Tom Dixon showcased the new hand-beaten aluminium vessels, vases and platters in Stockholm with a series of events and talks that people were invited to join, wherever they were in the world.
Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, Tom has not been able to travel, however, the brand decided to go ahead with the event schedule regardless by sending a hologram of Tom to attend on his behalf.
24 Hours in Stockholm followed the same format as Paris and Copenhagen: 1 city and a 24-hour packed event schedule, however, this time the adventure was part-digital, part-virtual and part-real life. The schedule included:
- An auction of signed CLOUD prototypes at Scandinavia’s leading fine art and antique auction-house, Bukowskis.
- An Architects & Designers talk with Tom on Heritage, Legacy and Sustainability (by invitation only).
- A Flower Arrangement Workshop with Christoffers Blommor using the new CLOUD vase.
- An Instagram Live Talk at NK department store between Tom and Elle Decoration Sweden’s print director Katarina Matsson on Heritage, Legacy and Sustainability.
- A Live Conversation with Dutch photography and sculpture artist, Berndnaut Smilde.
- A tour of award-winning Nordic whiskey distillers, Mackmyra Whisky, to explore their pioneering production processes using AI and gravity distilling with TANK glassware.
CLOUD Platter, Tall and Short Vessels and Bowl
Swedish CEO Hans Hoegstedt, who joined Tom Dixon at the beginning of 2020 says:
‘The relationship between Tom Dixon and Sweden has always been warm and fruitful. Sweden is still one of our key markets and Stockholm is the ideal city to celebrate the launch of CLOUD. Tom and I are proud of our team and our partners who refuse to give up despite the global pandemic and who instead choose to innovate, provoke, and celebrate extraordinary design.’
CLOUD Short Vessel
CLOUD was unveiled for the first time at NK department stores on the 11th February and launched across Tom Dixon’s social channels, tomdixon.net, @tomdixonstudio
CLOUD is a family of bulbous and sculptural pieces made of highly reflective polished aluminium. The collection includes a platter, bowl, short and tall vessel which are expressive handmade artefacts that are hammered and braised in India by skilled artisans.
The marks from the maker – every hammer and indentation from stretching and warping the metal are preserved in the final product to reflect the amount of work that’s gone into the design.
The next stops on the tour include 24-Hours in Milan in April followed by 24-Hours in New York in May.
For more visit Tom Dixon.