Sloom: 10 Tips For Better Sleep
We all have trouble sleeping from time to time, but it can become a real problem when insomnia persists day after day. Apart from making us tired and moody, a lack of sleep can severely affect our health, increasing our propensity for obesity, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
Sloom, leading South African sleep company founders Rudo & Susan Kemp, share ten quick tips for better shut-eye.
- Go to sleep at the same time each night, and get up at the same time each morning.
- Avoid taking naps after 3 p.m, and avoid napping longer than 20 minutes.
- Stay away from caffeine and alcohol late in the day.
- Take a relaxing shower or bath before bed. The heat will relax your muscles and body and make for good sleep hygiene.
- Get regular exercise, but not within 2-3 hours of bedtime.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal late in the day. A light snack before bedtime is OK.
- Make your bedroom comfortable, a sanctuary where you can completely relax. Add items such as candles and your favourite indoor plants to create a calming atmosphere.
- Follow a routine to help you relax before sleep (for example, reading or listening to music). Turn off the TV and other screens at least an hour before bedtime.
- Maximise your exposure to natural light during the day and use as little as possible artificial light during night time.
- Think of a list of everything you are grateful for before falling asleep.
We hope these tips will help you get some shut eye and better rest! And remember, good sleep starts with a quality mattress. Sloom offers South Africa’s first and only customisable mattress so you can get the rest your body deserves.
For more visit Sloom.