Did you know that almost every home in South Africa has unwanted lodgers – the common dust mite, and that you could be sharing your bed with thousands of dust mites every night?
According to the Allergy Society of South Africa there are about 10 000 house-dust mites, small eight-legged creatures that cannot be seen with the naked eye, in the average bed. Feeding on our dead skin scales, they especially enjoy warm and humid places such as our bedding.
“Placing your bedding in the sun for five hours every week is one method to help kill mites and so will washing your bedding at 60 degrees Celsius,” says Jimmy Ferendinos of quality bedding manufacturers Linen Drawer.
Linen Drawer produce duvets which, unlike the vast majority of micro fibre duvets sold in South Africa are fully machine washable and can be tumble dried. Linen Drawer’s duvets are also anti-allergic allergenic/hypoallergenic and therefore perfectly suited for people who are allergic to down products.
Here are some other ways to help banish bed bugs:
- Replace foam pillows every six months.
- Turn your mattress monthly. If possible, also place in the sun for at least five hours.
- Pull the bedcovers back in the morning to allow the bed to air thoroughly.
- Avoid padded headboards and cot bumpers for babies.
- Although it is not possible to guarantee a bedbug free bedroom, regular vacuuming and the changing and washing of bedclothes will at least reduce the chances of a full blown infestation.
Perhaps it is time for a new pillow – try the 3 Chamber Down & Feather Pillows.
These pillows are three-chamber down/feather pillows with a unique construction, having an ‘inner’ of feathers and an ‘outer’ layer of down. This ensures that you benefit from the firmer support of the feathers, while enjoying the supreme sleeping comfort of down. It is also cased in 100% pure down-proof cotton, ensuring cool, comfortable sleeping.
- Standard Size Pillow – R524
- King Size Pillow – R773
For more tips on how to banish bed bugs and for their full range of linen products, visit www.linendrawer.co.za.