For a blissful bathroom experience, we have time and time again turned to the team at Victorian Bathrooms. Founded in 1989, Lance and Margaret Goodale have successfully led the charge here with classic, luxury, timeless products to enhance the bathroom.We recently spoke with Margaret Goodale about what to expect from Victorian Bathrooms in 2020 and beyond…
How would you describe your personal style?
My style is definitely uncomplicated and it’s all about comfort! Black is my favourite and what I’m wearing must accommodate work to evening if necessary.
What qualities define your brand/business?
Transparent business practices, sophisticated Modern Classic style, quality products. Our staff are our most important asset and we do whatever we can for them to develop both in the workplace and in their personal lives.
What sets your brand apart in the industry at the moment?
- Longevity! There are not many retail businesses who are 30 years young!
- The majority of the products we sell are either made for us exclusively, or we have the exclusive rights to them in Southern Africa.
- We do not allow fashion to dictate to us. Should the client wish to incorporate a trend, we assist them in doing so in a way that is flexible and adaptable.
- We embrace what is current but make it our own. We love to take a contemporary item and render it in a classic style (eg circular mirrors are the rage – ours are on a moulded wood backing and the edge of the mirror is bevelled).
- Or we take a traditional item and produce it in a modern material eg a Perspex butlers tray, or a Perspex bath rack
- We stick with what we know. We are not all things to all men.
What is the most recent purchase you’ve made for your home and why?
Outdoor loungers for enjoying the natural beauty of our garden. Our garden is our sanctuary – it is where we recharge our body and mind.
What one design element, trend or furniture item can you not live without?
A comfortable bed with quality sheeting – after all we strive to spend a third of our lives in bed!
What design influence has had the greatest influence on your work and business?
White, in all its textures and hues! It always looks elegant, refreshing and stylish and, especially when teamed with plants, creates a soothing environment. Colour can be introduced in accents e.g. on the outside of a bath, colourful towels and other smaller items, or the introduction of wallpaper. White never dates and an accent colour can easily be updated as the fashion changes.
How would you describe the design industry in South Africa at present?
Designers are looking within themselves and into Africa rather than following Western trends which is hugely refreshing. We love the direction of the local young designers, in particular, are taking us. There is so much pride in Africa – it is fabulous to see the phenomenal creativity being generated. At last, we are telling our stories and not the stories from foreign countries.
What trends do you think we should keep an eye on in upcoming seasons?
- The use of greenery in a bathroom. Bringing the outside inside, whether this is in the use of real plants or in a wallpaper design. We are calmer when surrounded by nature.
- Classicism is back in favour but in a minimalist, playful way – nothing too serious. A traditional style with a twist. A Modern Classic!
- The use of rich metals which age naturally with the passing of time. This past year brushed brass has been the rage. We wait to see what surprise the new decade holds.
What exciting projects do you have planned within the next year?
Relocating our warehouse to Paarden Eiland and incorporating a large showroom which will enable us to be more hands-on when it comes to demonstrating products or attending to service requests. Nothing pleases us more than being able to assist a customer with a spare part for an item they purchased 20 years previously! By combining a showroom with the warehouse the various departments will be under one roof to offer greater service and flexibility.
For more visit Victorian Bathrooms.