We Are Loving Design Jo burg!
Back for it’s third edition, Design Joburg, featuring Rooms on View is presented by Sanlam Private Wealth, and continues to flip the traditional notion of a décor and design exhibition on its head!
Opened on Friday and running until Sunday 26 May, South Africa’s best designers, architects and style shapers have transformed the Sandton Convention Centre into Africa’s hotspot for the most innovative and covetable interiors.
We share 6 great reasons to visit the show this year…
- For insights from industry experts… The headline addition to the show is the Kohler Theatre. This auditorium space, designed by the show’s creative directors and leading flooring brand Belgotex, hosts internationally acclaimed designers Michael Anastassiades and Yinka Ilori – courtesy of SA Tourism and KOHLER respectively – on the show’s opening day. The weekends remaining programme hosts local and continental design luminaries, who share their insights by way of not-to-be-missed talks.
- For collaboration… One of the show’s major differentiators, its CoLabs, has once again see stellar designers creating collaborative room sets using the wares of some of South Africa’s top drawer brands, artisans and suppliers. The line-up of designers this year includes Dylan Thomaz, Fanie van Zyl, Tuami Zulu, Nelson Kubheka, Julia Day and Wendy Douglas.
- For the local design… Proudly brimming with local design, the show’s two major hives of homegrown talent include the SPA ZAR and SA Furniture Collective The highly anticipated SPA ZAR feature, in conjunction with SA Tourism, presents a generous selection of hand-picked creatives – over 30 of them – from multiple disciplines, both established and emerging, who show off their wares in style within cubes curated by Source IBA’s Mardre Meyer. In addition, SA Furniture Collective honour a handful of the country’s top furniture designers showcasing their newest creations under the sharply honed, curative eye of Tonic designers Greg Gamble and Philippe van der Merwe.
For design from around the world… For those with an eye on the global design landscape, Design Joburg has unveiled the latest collections from several sacred design heavyweights. Design stalwarts such as Cassina, Roche Bobois, Fabri, Kohler, Kare Design and Tom Dixon will all represent the international market with their latest furniture, lighting, bathroom and kitchen collections. Turkish design in particular takes centre stage, as Design Joburg puts this up and coming design force under the spotlight, decoding why this country has earned its place as one of the world’s leading design destinations. Here, several leading Turkish designers and crafters showcase their newest creations at the show.
- For the love of food and drink… This year, Design Joburg has teamed up with celebrated Sowetan-born chef Wandile Mabaso. He’s bought something fresh – entitled les créatifs – to the show’s ‘food-design’ table. Then, following its popularity from last year, this year’s Hendrick’s Gin Bar is another stylish affair courtesy of Joburg’s pre-eminent furniture and interior design brand Studio19.
Other show features to look out for include the Art and Retail Corridors plus the returning Architect’s Gallery curated by celebrated South African architectural studio SAOTA.
6. LaForma sharing the SA Décor & Design stand! (C31 – It is near the Kohler Design Forum)
and are showcasing some of there most exciting products from Barcelona with love . Come say hello…
With the standard of design ever evolving, boundaries being pushed and the pull to Design Joburg has become even stronger, visitors and exhibitors have said – the best show yet.
Don’t miss out.
For more visit Design Joburg.
- Industry Events