Sealy: 50 Things You Should Know About Sleep
To celebrate their 50th birthday this year, our friends from Sealy are giving you the gift of sleep! Here are 50 things you need to know about sleep:
1. Sleep helps maintain solid relationships – both at home and at work.
2. Nap for 10-30 minutes a day and you will improve your productivity in the afternoon.
3. Sleep 7.5-9 hours each night and you will have less cravings for high-carb/high-fat food.
4. An adult’s sleep cycle is 90 minutes- set your alarm clock to go off when you would be scheduled to come out of a sleep cycle and you will find it easier to wake up.
5. Sealy sprung foundations act like a shock absorber contributing to your comfort and support.
6. Are you an early bird? You can thank your genes if you are a morning person.
7. Getting enough slumber improves your reaction times and decreases your risk of causing a car accident.
8. The average base and mattress set lasts about 8 years.
9. Sleep helps us feel happier about ourselves and others.
10. Sealy mattresses use Cool Gel technology to help keep you cooler at night.
11. Electric blankets might keep you warm, but they shorten the life-span of your mattress. If you must use an electric blanket, keep it at a moderate heat.
12. Children and teens who get enough sleep perform better at school.
13. Don’t skimp when buying a new bed for your child – their growing bodies need support too.
14. Good sleep equals less sports injuries for athletes.
15. Drinking warm, sweet milk will make you feel sleepy.
16. Get good shut-eye and halve your chance of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
17. Switch off all screens one hour before bedtime and you will fall asleep faster. There’s an app that can help you with that: The Net Nanny app.
18. A sleep mask can help you sleep more deeply.
19. Partner tossing and turning? A Sealy posture pocket mattress may be what you need to get a good night’s sleep.
20. De-clutter your bedroom to fall asleep faster.
21. A mattress protector can give your mattress an additional five years of life. Click here to view Sealy’s range of mattress and pillow protectors.
22. Use a happy scent like lavender and vanilla in your bedroom to build a positive association with sleep.
23. Taller than average? Sealy is available in standard 188cm and extra length 200cm in select models, providing a longer sleeping surface for the taller individual.
24. Cuddling stimulates both happy hormones and sleep hormones – give some hugs and kisses to your loved ones each evening.
25. A larger mattress means you are less likely to disturb your partner. Click here for tips on selecting the right kind of mattress.
26. Sleep-deprived people consume an average of 385 kcal per day extra. This is the equivalent of four slices of bread.
27. Do you doze on your back? Put a pillow under your knees to take the pressure off your lower spine. Click here to find out if your sleep position is causing you pain.
28. A warm bath triggers sleepiness. Bath just before climbing into bed and you will fall asleep faster.
30. When lying on your back or side, your pillow should keep your head in line with your spine.
31. Sex before bed can help you sleep better.
32. Do you suffer from allergies? A mattress with Aloe Vera fabric is the answer. It ensures your mattress is hypo-allergenic and stays cool, fresh and dry.
33. Getting enough sleep improves fertility in men and women.
34. Paint your bedroom in a calm shade and you will feel calm too.
35. Night owls seem to be smarter and more creative than those who keep a more conventional bedtime.
36. 85% of South Africans do not get the sleep they need (7,5 hours or more) each night. Find out more about South African sleep habits: Sealy Sleep Census results
37. Never buy a mattress without spending at least one minute lying in the position you sleep in to see if it offers the right amount of support. Click here for tips on how to buy the perfect mattress.
38. Writing down five things you are grateful for each night before you go to bed improves your general mood.
39. Create happier dreams by listening to uplifting music just before bedtime.
40. A mattress does not need to be ‘firm’ in order for it to be good for you. Sealy mattresses offer the correct support regardless of the firmness.
41. Earplugs are a great way to mask loud noises that would otherwise disrupt your sleep.
42. Eat foods rich in B-vitamins, like bananas and oats, to help your muscles relax and fall asleep.
43. Fresh, breathable bedding helps your body warm up or cool down as needed. Buy the best quality linen you can afford to get a better night’s sleep.
44. Bamboo fabric is an intelligent textile technology with moisture wicking properties. It helps keep your mattress dry and your body cool.
45. Side-sleeper? Put a pillow between your knees to alleviate back and hip pain.
46. A double mattress offers a surface area equal to the width of one cot mattress for each adult. Now that’s a tight squeeze!
47. Candlelight does not interfere with melatonin-release, like blue electrical lights do. Enjoy a candle-lit dinner or bath and fall asleep with ease.
48. You will spend one-third of your life on your mattress – buy the best mattress you can afford.
49. Invest in a good mattress and it will cost you just a few cents per night over its lifetime!
50. Buy your bed from a retailer with a great reputation for service and integrity. Click here to find your closest Sealy retailer.