Blinds are no longer for the office and curtains for the home – times are changing and more people are choosing blinds for windows in their houses and apartments. Why choose blinds over curtains? We hear from the professionals at Luxaflex as to some of the possible reasons:
1) Blinds can control the light levels in a room. You can adjust blinds so that light and air enter a room but you are not affected by glare from sun rays, whereas curtains tend to either be thin fabric and let a lot of light in or heavy fabric which can limit ventilation and make rooms too stuffy.
2) Blinds give a sleek, neat, up-to-date look to a home and are incredibly versatile. They can be found in various styles, finishes and types of material to suit every room, such as fabric (e.g. roller blinds, roman shades, vertical blinds or Silhouette shades), wood, plastic and aluminium. Curtains generally only come in fabric or occasionally plastic.
3) Easier to measure for than curtains – no hem/seam allowances or rings/tabs/tapes required. Simply measure the area you wish to cover and choose your style. They also usually attach directly to the window frame whereas curtains require rails, rings, screws and sometimes clips and tapes to hang correctly.
4) Blinds are generally easy to clean – obviously wood, plastic and metals can be wiped down with a cleaning wipe or damp cloth, and even fabric blinds are generally hardy and stain-resistant and can simply be brushed down while hanging or even have a light vacuum run over them. Generally, curtains are cotton, which is not stain-resistant, and they need to be taken down, washed, and pressed before being re-hung back in place, during which time the sun will be glaring through your window!
5) On a similar note, blinds are very durable. Curtains are generally not suitable for homes with pets as they are easily ruined by teeth and claws and could pose a problem or even a danger to your pet if they become entangled in the fabric. Similarly, small children could easily pull down, become entangled with, or damage a curtain, whereas it would be difficult for a pet or child to reach a blind (installed with a child safely clip) never mind damage or stain it. Curtains can also hold dust mites and pet dander which can trigger allergies or asthma issues – blinds are usually a hard or treated fabric surface and are better at resisting this build-up.
6) Blinds are easy to use, often being opened or closed at the turn of a wrist or the pull of a cord. Curtains can sometimes stick on their rails and become difficult to open and close easily.
7) Blinds give a minimalist, streamlined look and can make rooms appear bigger, especially when fitted into bay windows or conservatories. Curtains, especially heavy ones, can give the appearance of making a room smaller and are very difficult to fit into a bay window without screening it off. In a nutshell, it can be said that the aesthetic appeal of your home will improve drastically when you decorate your home with blinds and they will also increase the functionality to a great extent. It will be unfair not to mention the cost effectiveness and that your room will look more stylish and elegant as well.Contact: Luxaflex