Planning a long distance move to a new location is a very stressful and daunting task. But don’t be discouraged! As overwhelming as long distance moving can be, when properly planned it’s not such a scary prospect. Preparation is key in your relocation process to ensure that you don’t forget any important tasks. Whether you’re moving from Johannesburg to Cape Town, Durban or Port Elizabeth, make use of these tips and guidelines to ensure your moving process is well organised and executed without any major hassles.Not sure where to start? Let’s get planning. Long distance moving tips
- Make notes – Make use of a notepad, file or notebook to jot down important tasks and things you need to do. Making notes is key to staying organised.
- Sort your stuff – Moving to a new home creates the perfect opportunity to get rid of old and unused goods. Don’t take your junk with you, sell or donate it to a charity.
- Keep items separate – Keep items such as credit cards, wallets, mobile phones, plane tickets etc. separate so that the moving company doesn’t pack them by mistake.
- Your first night – Pack an overnight bag to ensure you don’t have to look for your necessities when moving to the new home. Include some spare clothing, pj’s, toiletries, and beauty accessories you may require.
- Packing up – Collect boxes and newspapers well in advance (you will always need more than you think, and purchase enough tape, and scissors. Start packing up rooms and spaces you won’t need first, keeping your most utilised goods for last. If you are insuring your goods while in transit, it needs to be professionally packed by a moving company such as BusyBee Removals.
- Naming and colour coding – Use coloured stickers or tape to assign boxes to a certain room in your new home. Remember to make note of these colours in your notebook. Also name boxes on the sides to ensure you can see what’s in them even when stacked on top of each other.
Packing might sound easy, but there are a few things to remember, such as:
- Don’t use big boxes for heavy items, as the boxes will be difficult to lift!
- Protect glassware and breakables with sufficient bubble wrap or paper to avoid breakages during your long distance move. Plates, glasses, cups etc. should be packed upright, and not flat.
- Let valuables such as jewellery travel with you in your vehicle for safe keeping. Keep all your keys with you as well.
- Remember to change your address for all your accounts, memberships, subscriptions etc.
- Ensure your new house is cleaned before you move in. If you are unable to do this yourself, arrange cleaning services with your estate agent.
- Take good care of your personal documents and papers such as birth and marriage certificates, identification documents, current bills, photos etc.
Making use of moving companies for long distance moves – BusyBee Removals When relocating to a new destination, you will most probably make use of a moving company to move your goods. Make sure you use a trusted and reputable moving company to ensure a smooth and hassle-free move such as BusyBee Removals. BusyBee Removals is a leading international and long distance moving company, and will assist with your moving process from the packing phase to initial setup of furniture in your new home. Contact BusyBee Removals for a tailor-made quote to move your goods.