Alfresco Eating this spring with an amazing recipe from Illovo. Learn how to make a sweet and sour bean salad using Illovo Golden Syrup. That sounds delicious! Our tummies are grumbling.
Sweet and Sour Bean Salad
2x410g cans mixed beans or 1 can each of red kidney beans and butter beans, drained
420g can pineapple chunks and all syrup reserved
1 medium green pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced into matchstick strips
15ml sunflower oil, heated
50ml white vinegar
75ml Illovo Golden Syrup
35ml cornflour mixed with little water to a thin paste
Salt and pepper
- Combine the beans and pineapple chunks in a salad bowl.
- Gently sauté the green pepper strips in heated oil until tender.
- Add the vinegar, golden syrup, reserved pineapple liquid, and cornflour mixture. Stir over heat to thicken to a sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Pour over and combine with the beans and pineapple.
- Scatter with capers, cover and chill.
Dont forget to enter the competition to win a kitchen makeover here.