Whilst wondering what would be wonderful for a Monday treat, we came across THE TOFFEE APPLE. Do you remember eating these as a child? We do and we really miss them and have decided to make our own Toffee Apples. Are you feeling the same vibe? Here is how to make these delicious yet healthy treats using Illovo sugar and Illovo Golden Syrup.
+/- 25 small to medium size red apples
25 wooden skewers
1kg Illovo White Sugar
250ml Illovo Golden Syrup
5ml liquid red food colouring
- Butter a marble, granite or greaseproof paper surface well.
- Wash and dry the apples well. Pluck out their stalks. Insert a wooden skewer into the core of the apple and set aside.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan, and stir in the syrup over low heat to dissolve the sugar completely. Stir in the food colouring.
- Stirring over moderate heat, allow the syrup to boil and reach Soft Crack Stage (140˚C)
- Remove pot from heat and immediately begin by holding a skewer and immersing the apples one at a time, into the syrup and lifting out to ensure even coating. Stand on prepared greased surface to set. Work quickly!
Tip: When working with this large amount of syrup, keep it liquid and warm but not boiling, by placing the pot in a larger pot of boiling water and working quickly.
Illovo Sugar have 2 more AEG breakfast packs to give away so be sure to submit your Illovo Sugar recipes.