One more day to go till Open Design Cape Town welcomes collectives, individuals, companies, communities and educators to their innovative flagship event Talk100. Following on from Creative Mornings featuring SuzelleDIY and Ari Kruger, Talk100 is centred around a day of storytelling in the company of passionate thought-leaders, community role models and determined changemakers.
Hear their stories and join the conversation about how they’re using design, innovation and entrepreneurship in communities, healthcare and technology. The talks throughout the day are moderated by Dominic Wilhelm, strategy advisor at Qonda Strategic Advisory. Dominic works with organisations and governments to shape better futures. His career began as a broadcaster and his fascination with conversation recently surfaced as a pilot series First Name Basis: When People Connect, the World Changes. Let him guide and support you through the conversations. Open Design doesn’t request anything above your attention for the day – so take time away from the office, move your meetings over to the OD Cafe at City Hall invite your clients and colleagues to join you there. That way you don’t have to miss a thing. All talks are free and open to everyone, but seats are limited. They will run a simulcast in the OD Cafe space if you can’t find a seat in our event space. See the speaker-line up below. SESSION ONE: (11am– 12pm) The Steve Jobs factor: what qualities do we need in future business leaders? Speakers:
- Karidas Tshintsholo: Executive Director of Moneytree Group, MD of South African Textiles.
- Ian Calvert: Project Leader at Red Bull Amaphiko.
SESSION TWO: (12pm – 1pm) Are we ready for the fourth industrial revolution? Speakers:
- Robyn Farah: Founder of KAT-O and TECHTalk, and tech activist with Arduino Cape Town, Modern Alchemists and Women in Tech Cape Town.
- Lars Espeter: game developer, augmented and virtual reality fan and leader of the Game Graphics and Multimedia Entertainment course at Friends of Design.
- Alan Ball: drone pilot and founder of Flying Robot.
SESSION THREE: (2pm-3pm) It takes a village to raise a child. What does it take to build a community? Speakers:
- Arianna Mazzeo: Head of Research and Professor of Creative Arts at Bath Spa UK University-Esart Campus ad Design and Innovation Professor at Elisava Design School, Barcelona.
- India Baird: founder of Rock Girl, joined by young women from Rock Girl BRAVE and SST Khayelitsha.
- Luthando Dyasi: co-founder and leader of Dine with Khayelitsha.
SESSION FOUR: (3pm – 4pm) Is health the new wealth for our cities? Speakers:
- Lufefe Nomjana: Founder and CEO of Espinaca Bakery in Khayelitsha, also known as the Spinach King.
- Ryan Roberts: Product designer and founder of Deskstand™
- William Mapham: founder of Vula Mobile
The event takes place between 11am and 4pm, so the brief for the day: schedule your life around city hall. You can find the talks at the Events Space on the second floor at City Hall. Open and free to EVERYONE and for those driving – there’s free parking at the Grand Parade. Here is a glimpse of how Open Design Cape Town 2014 went down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5MMy-fCtU Contact: Open Design