I love the look of this chunky home made chutney! It’s bright, fresh and once inside the mouth, an explosion of all those fantastic sweet, salty, sour and spicy flavours! It’s just delicious with so many things or just with fresh bread and a hunk of cheese… It makes for the perfect afternoon snack
2,5kg jam tomatoes, blanched and peeled
500g onions, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
500ml Illovo Golden Syrup
45ml corn flour
15ml mustard flour
5ml cayenne pepper
500ml white or brown vinegar
10ml medium strength curry powder
1. Slice tomatoes and onion and layer in a stainless steel pot with 15ml salt sprinkled over. Leave overnight.
2. Next morning, bring to the boil and cook until very soft.
3. Mince or process until still fairly chunky, and return to pot.
4. Stir in syrup then mixture of the remaining ingredients, stirring to thicken and return to the boil.
5. Simmer uncovered for 15 – 20 minutes until mixture has thickened.
6. Bottle in sterilized jars, label and store until required.